Want to know the state of artificial intelligence (AI) in some of the top industries in 2021?
We’ve curated and vetted 40 statistics about the emergence of AI, the ways it’s being used today, and expert projections for the future.
Top AI Statistics
- The global AI market size is expected to hit $190 billion by 2025, with a CAGR of 36% from 2018 to 2025. (Source)
- The global market size for AI is projected to grow by $58.3 billion in 2021 alone. (Source)
- 86% of CEOs report that AI is currently implemented in their office in 2021. (Source)
- 51% of e-commerce leaders have already integrated automation technologies in sales, marketing, and customer service. (Source)
- 71% of marketers see AI as a useful tool in personalization. (Source)
AI in Healthcare
The healthcare industry has seen a surge in automated procedures due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Here are some stats that may surprise you.
- In 2021, the healthcare segment of the AI industry is expected to reach $6.6 billion with a compound annual growth rate of 40%. (Source)
- Yearly savings of $150 billion in the U.S. are expected from AI-powered medical applications by the year 2026. (Source)
- According to 63% of medical professionals, artificial intelligence is making major contributions to the research of medical solutions in specialty care. (Source)
- In 2022, 75% of automated interactions in the healthcare industry are expected to be successful, without having to switch to a human. (Source)
AI in Manufacturing
Throughout the world, manufacturers are using artificial intelligence for automated solutions. Here are some facts about the way manufacturing is adopting AI technology.
- 51% of top manufacturers in Europe, 30% in Japan, and 28% in the U.S. are employing AI technology. (Source)
- Almost 49% of automotive and manufacturing experts believe that AI is “absolutely critical for success,” while 44% report that AI technology is “highly important” to the production sector. (Source)
- The worth of smart manufacturing is expected to reach $589.98 billion by 2028. (Source)
- The generative design industry is expected to grow from $141 million in 2019 to $315 million in 2025. (Source)
- According to Brian Matthews, Vice President of Platform Engineering at Autodesk, using a generative design is like renting 50,000 computers in the cloud. This means 50,000 days’ worth of engineering work can be done in a single day. (Source)
AI in Banking
The banking sector applies AI technology to recommendation systems for better customer experience and fraud detection and investigation. Here are some interesting statistics about AI in banking.
- The universal expenditure on artificial intelligence is expected to grow from $50.1 billion in 2020 to $110 billion in 2024, and the banking sector is projected to be one of the main contributors. (Source)
- 75% of banking professionals with more than $100 billion in assets are implementing AI-powered strategies for banking, compared to 46% with less than $100 billion in assets. (Source)
- The global digital banking market size is expected to hit $1.61 trillion by 2027, up from $803.8 billion in 2018, with a CAGR of 8.9%. (Source)
- 56% of the total AI product contribution in banking is fraud detection and risk management. Customer service and marketing make up 25%, and chatbots make up 13.5% of the total AI-powered solutions for the banking sector. (Source)
AI in Telecommunications
Artificial intelligence is rapidly expanding its presence in the telecommunications industry, led by AI-powered smartphones. Here are some stats that show how AI is taking hold in telecommunications.
- It is expected that the AI telecom market will reach $13.45 billion in the year 2026. (Source)
- By 2020, more than half of telecom service providers had integrated AI in their services in some form. Networking planning (70%) and performance management (64%) are the two use cases promising huge returns with AI-powered solutions in the telecom industry. (Source)
General Business Applications of AI
Next, here are some statistics that show how businesses are incorporating AI technology and what the future may be for AI-powered business solutions.
- 60% of B2B sales organizations will embrace data-driven selling instead of selling based on experience and intuition by 2025. (Source)
- 87% of the companies using AI are adopting it for improved email marketing. (Source)
- 61% of marketing professionals are interested in AI-powered sales forecasting. (Source)
- Netflix has saved $1 billion by adopting an AI algorithm for its recommendation engine. (Source)
- In 2020, the U.S. government announced it will spend more than $1 billion for AI and quantum information science research labs. (Source).
- The chatbot market size is expected to reach $2.48 billion by the year 2028. (Source)
- 78% of companies state that they have already implemented AI solutions for better customer experience. (Source)
- 80% of business and marketing professionals are using chatbots for effective dealing with the customers. (Source)
- It is predicted that by 2025, 75% of customer interaction will use AI-enabled systems instead of human interaction. (Source)
- The self-driving car industry is estimated at $56.21 billion in 2021. It is expected to reach $220.44 billion by 2026, with a CAGR of 36.47%. (Source)
- In 2025, it is projected that 8 million vehicles with AI technology will be shipped to customers. (Source)
- Volkswagen and Ford are in a joint pact of automated vehicle manufacturing called Argo AI. Volkswagen has invested $2.6 billion in Argo AI. (Source)
- The global drone market is expected to expand and reach $8.52 billion by 2027, given the growing demand by public and government sectors. (Source)
- DJI, the leading name in the global drone market, has total funding of $1.1 billion. (Source)
- 8% of the American population is a drone owner, and 15% have used a drone. (Source)
- The smart assistant industry is forecasted to reach $44.26 billion by the year 2027. (Source)
- Google Assistant, with an accuracy of 98% on navigation questions, is the most effective virtual assistant overall. (Source)
- The number of digital voice assistants in use will reach 8 billion by 2023. This is an increase from 2.5 billion in late 2018. (Source)
- 30% of jobs are expected to be automated by 2030. (Source)
- The size of the industrial automation market will expand to nearly $300 billion by 2026. (Source)
These statistics show the contributions AI and machine learning are making in every field, from medical to manufacturing. AI is being actively integrated into every domain and is the key to the growth of every business.